DOWNLOAD OSCAR FOR TESTING
Please proceed with caution. These links are provided for testing purposes only.
Health care providers are NOT encouraged to attempt to self-install a live production OSCAR EMR system for real patients, without the requisite IT experience.
To properly install and secure your live office OSCAR EMR system we suggest that you retain a professional:
OSCAR EMR is designed to run in a web server / web browser configuration.
- On the server-side, the installation is more complex than a basic freeware program because you have to go through multiple steps to configure a server installation, then install the dependencies (other free programs that OSCAR relies on to work properly), then install OSCAR, then configure the web server and the MySQL database software, then download the medication database for the prescription software and configure other interfaces (if desired).
- On the client/browser-side we recommend that you use Firefox (it is a good idea to install the Extended Support Release "ESR" version of Firefox) and point it to your newly configured server installation. Any device that can run a browser can be pointed to the OSCAR web server, including PC, Mac, Linux, tablets, smart-phones etc..
- Please note: Oscar installations requires security hardening, on the server side. This is provided automatically with the Packaged Linux Installation, and can be added manually to the other installations.
If you have the enthusiasm and basic technical know-how required to dabble with an OSCAR test installation, then jump in! Be aware that most production OSCAR systems are installed on Ubuntu Linux Server which makes that combination the best documented and easiest to service. There are a number of ways for you to install OSCAR:
- Native Windows Installer (for demonstration).
- Packaged Linux installation on Ubuntu, Mint, Xubuntu and similar Debian based Linux desktop distributions with a graphical user interface. This is the recommended route for both demonstration and production.
- IDE install on for developers wishing to install OSCAR in a development platform.
- Download the source code and build manually from the Sourceforge repository, for those with the necessary know-how.
All of our files are released on Sourceforge with installation how-to's documented on www.oscarmanual.org for OSCAR version 12.
DISCLAIMER: OSCAR EMR software is provided "as is", under GPLv2, with absolutely no warranty or guarantees. OCUS strongly advises against placing genuine live patient data into an improperly secured or backed up system. We advise prospective OSCAR users to retain professional support. Reckless treatment of confidential patient information could result in serious professional and medical-legal consequences. We also would like to remind aspiring support professionals and developers to be sure to familiarize themselves with, and respect, open source practices to avoid exposing themselves to license violations under GPLv2.